Wednesday 24 July 2013

Top 10 Misconceptions Foreigners Have of Jamaicans



I am someone who puts humour to almost everything… almost. Oftentimes, people make fun of several things about me and I usually laugh it off. But after living in the US and Canada for some time, I came across some hilarious misconceptions and some stereotypes that foreigners have of Jamaicans. I’ll start from 10 and work my way to number 1. These are a few of the things that I find a little funny.
Please note: these are all based on my personal experiences.

Yes, we have cars in Jamaica! (Pun intended!)
1. Do they have, like, cars in Jamaica? Yes, I know the ridiculousness of the question. On an exchange program in the US, I had two American young ladies approach me just to ask that question. I went along (thinking it was a joke) and told them “No, we don’t have cars. The island is small enough to walk just about anywhere you need to go.” I realized soon after that they were, in fact, serious.
2. You’re Jamaican? You don’t sound Jamaican. Apparently, some people do not think we speak Standard English. Unfortunately, my dialect only comes out when I’m among friends. Outside of that, I use Standard Jamaican English. Sorry to disappoint!! J
3. Your Bomb*cl@@t, LOL! I don’t know if some people believe that the phrase is a greeting, but I’ve had people who, upon discovering that I’m Jamaican, started using the phrase with me like a special greeting.
4. How come you don’t smoke weed? Now, now. That one! THAT… is the most ridiculous one yet. Uh, does EVERY Jamaican smoke marijuana? I’ve had this question 4 out of 10 times I meet someone new that discovers I’m Jamaican.
5. Wow! No dreadlocks? Ok, so… awkward. Is that one of the identifying marks of a Jamaican? Dreadlocks usually represent a practising religious group in Jamaica. Outside of that, people who wear dreadlocks have them groomed; often called “Fashion Locks/Dreads.”
6. Show me some dance moves!! Yea… I have had to refuse on several occasions. I would embarrass myself and the beloved dancers of Jamaica with my poor movements. Nay, not every Jamaican is a dancer!
7. It must be fun living on the beach!! If you look closely at a map of Jamaica, you will see that the inner part of the island is, in fact, quite a distance from the beach.  
8. Have you met Bob Marley? Again, Jamaica is not that small. While there is the possibility that I might have, we need to bear in mind that Jamaica’s population, even in the time of Bob Marley’s life, exceeded 2 million. He also passed away long before I was born.
9. Oh my gosh! Your English is perfect! Ok, this integrates with #2. People are not even aware that I am a Jamaican unless I say so. My accent is only used among Caribbean folk and friends. Outside of that, the preferred language is English (or Spanish, based on the crowd).
10. Do you listen to anything but Bob Marley and Reggae? A few years ago, I was in the US and this question came up. So I responded that I listen to all genres; in fact, I told her that my favourite is Motown R&B. I don’t know if she heard “My favourite might be Bob Marley” because everyday since then, the young lady played the same Bob Marley CD every morning on the way to work. ~JGIC

Can you think of any other stereotypes? Comment below.

*Side Note: Jamaica is ranked third as one of the coolest nationalities in the world.
 

Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies Major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Follow on Twitter @JamGirlInCanada
Questions or comments? Email: jokay2112@gmail.com
*Photos acquired from Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment