Sunday 21 July 2013

The Abbreviated Truth



 Hv u evr noticd hw som ppl send txt msgs l8ly? I lol’ed many times wen I read som of the nonsense in the msgs. Ur gonna laugh wen u c som of the things I’v seen. Am sure ur gonna av a gud time readn this.
Yes, this is our generation of grammar. It has overflowed to our children. I was scrolling through my Facebook page when I saw a few posts. Some of the posts were in an unknown hieroglyphic that I had to decode. I had so much difficulty reading some of them that I got a headache attempting to understand the ridiculousness of some of the posts. People have gotten so used to writing “ur” that they do not know the difference between “your” and “you’re.”  Oftentimes I see persons replying “Your Welcome” on a post, so my question is: What went wrong?

The abbreviated truth?

Laziness

Our computers and phones are equipped with “auto-complete” so the generation after me has no use for the grammar that will aid them in reading and writing… the electronics do it for them. So when reading essays and some e-mails, especially in the capacity of teacher, I get a monumental headache trying to decode. I don’t believe there is a way to stop the epidemic but I would urge parents and teachers alike to help their children to understand that practice makes perfect. If you practice bad grammar, then sadly, everything you type and write will be done, sub-consciously, with improper grammar. I am guilty of texting this way sometimes, but then, if texting a superior, I have to double check to see if I misspelled a word or if my sentence is properly constructed. Sometimes it’s funny to see how people try to sound as professional as possible and in the midst of the letter or text, you find the letter “u” or “ur” representing the words “you” and “your/you’re.”
My suggestion? Spend a little extra time when composing posts for the public eye. Chances are there’s someone out there who will see your error and laugh at your mistake rather than correct you. That’s their way of saying they’re there for you! Kinda hypocritical don’t you think?




Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Follow on twitter: @JamGirlInCanada
Like the page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JamaicanGirlInCanada?ref=hl
Email: jokay2112@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment