Wednesday 10 July 2013

Actors with Fake “Jamaican” Accents



My brother and I have two completely different views of life, but share the same quirky sense of humour. We watched the movie “Tower Heist” starring Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy and Gabourey Sidibe. While we laughed our socks off, things got serious when my brother noticed that our Jamaican accent was being abused, and he only recognized this after Gabourey Sidibe (as Odessa) used one of Jamaica’s original curse words ( -->Insert Jamaican “B” word here <--) then pushed the trolley towards the guard in an effort to knock him out. She ended the scene by saying (in her best Jamaican): “You shoulda try di cake, man.” Now, I have nothing against Hollywood in their efforts to create movies, but why not use actual Jamaicans to play the part of… well… a Jamaican?
Jamaica is overflowing with talent in many areas within the performing arts, so I fail to understand why they don’t audition actual Jamaicans for Jamaican roles. This brings me to Taye Diggs (Lawd, he was hot in that movie!) in “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” with that very, very heavily butchered Jamaican accent. That movie was so big, but I had a friend of mine asking if Taye Diggs was Jamaican. Nothing against him, but I gave her a resounding “NO” in response to her question. I had to start speaking in Jamaican in order for her to see the difference in the accents. It didn’t take long for her to recognize that his accent was indeed fake.
I see that the Jamaican accent is often used for fun and frolic in order to heighten the humour in some movies/commercials. During the earlier part of this year, the VW ad displaying a Caucasian with a Jamaican accent had us laughing our socks off (by us, I mean mainstream Jamaicans). The actor was simply used to portray the stereotype that Jamaicans are laid back, relaxed and happy. Obviously, the gentleman in the advertisement had a great time in Jamaica -  maybe on his vacation - and sought to share his wealth of new-found, tropical cheerfulness with his co-workers. I’m fine with that.
My issue lies with creating an entire movie, with “Jamaican” characters that are neither Jamaican nor are of Jamaican descent, but they are passed off as Jamaicans. What about people who are curious about Jamaicans and their dialect? Exposure to the butchered, fake, poorly presented Jamaican dialect simply won’t do. Quite inadequate and awkward, if you ask me. I’m beginning to wonder if these people are making fun of our accent or they just simply cannot be bothered scouting for original talent. I love my dialect, and I enjoy the fact that people try to emulate us in every possible way, but I have a problem when we are portrayed in the wrong light (accent and all) in mainstream media outlets.
 
I have one thing to say: “If yuh want Jamaican accent, use artical, original Jamaican fe do di ting! Real talk, yuh zeet?”
  
Get your act together Hollywood (Get it? Act? Hollywood?). ~JGIC






I would like your opinion on the skit below (Please excuse the constant use of the Jamaican "B" word, thanks). I found it quite hilarious. Please note: the actress is British. Kindly leave your comments about the actress and the “translator” in the comment section below. Thank you.

 


Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.


No comments:

Post a Comment