Friday 12 July 2013

Drama Kings and Queens of the World



Did you happen to trip over a minute stump in your path and recovered quickly thinking that no one saw you? If this happened in Jamaica, be guaranteed someone… somebody… would have seen what happened and the story would come back like this:
 
“Hey, you see that hot girl/man ova there… [points in direction], she a walk and act like she hot, zeen? And she just trip over [some non-existent object], and roll go ‘bout 10 miles down de road. I laugh ‘til I weak man!”

I’m a story-teller. Its in my veins, I just can’t help it. So bringing that gift with me to Canada was no problem. I made many great friends and had a lot of fun retelling some instances that have occurred in my life. I do my best to emulate late great The Hon. Dr. Louise Bennett-Coverley, who to this day, is one of Jamaica's greatest story-tellers, poets and play writes. So you find that drama, fun, and humour runs in my veins and that of most Jamaicans alike and we love to spread the joy each chance we get.
So, I recently came across a video news article about some people in Jamaica who were flooded out due to some error on the contractor’s part, I had no idea what I was about to see. This woman took the cake. Her account of the situation was hilarious!
Now, I did not find the circumstances the least bit funny; but the woman who was being interviewed had me rolling. I just couldn’t help it. The interviewer held the microphone down, and she bobbed her head down to the level of the microphone to continue giving her story. The interviewer moved the microphone up, and she bobbed her way up to the microphone level again to get her story out.

See the story for yourself in the video below.

Comments welcome! What do you think?

 

Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

See the "remix" below:


















No comments:

Post a Comment