Monday 17 June 2013

The Ideal Weigh (Just Be Yourself)



 Fat. Slim. Square. Lean. Rotund. Curvy. Or you lie In between. You just can never seem to please people. Being a thick chick, a curvy diva, a plus-sized woman has led to ridicule, criticism and unnecessary name calling even in my adult years. More recently, I’ve had a friend who means me so well trying to encourage me to lose weight. 
But why so much ridicule from everyone else?
The media has gone overboard to ensure that people know that thin is in and fat is well… not. I recall reading articles of women who strived to be in the 200 pound range less than a century ago to be just like Lillian Russell, and of those who wished to “fill out” their bikinis less than half a century ago. See them here. I accept that maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important, but does being overweight necessarily mean that you’re unhealthy?
So, my question is: what happened? Does the media care about our health so much, that they have launched an all out campaign against weight - directly and indirectly? Does Abercrombie & Fitch try so hard to encourage overweight persons to lose weight that they actually do not make women’s clothing a single size over LARGE? Was Rex Reed concerned about Melissa McCarthy’s health when he called her “Tractor Sized?” Or, does this have to do with image? Yes… image!! The focus is not on our health, it’s about how we look, and being thinner will supposedly make us more confident and “appreciate ourselves more.” Lately, the media has started countering its conniving ways by endorsing “curvy” competitions and the like, and it’s a start to have our impressionable young ladies beginning on the road to self-acceptance. I believe, however, that more needs to be done.
I believe if this weight campaign was in our best interest, the strategy that the First Lady of the United States utilizes would be implemented. I have nothing against people who are concerned for my health, but when the health talk shifts to how I can “improve my looks” by losing weight, you’re simply saying that I’m ugly because I am fat. I do not need anyone’s pity regarding my weight, I am confident enough to wear whatever I want, whenever I want. It’s all about my comfort. I don’t go around forcing my ideas of the ideal look on a slim person. As such, I don’t see why I’m being coerced into fulfilling your perfect ideals. Accept me for me, and I will be less defensive, less defiant and our friendship will be perfect. I accept you with your fuzzy hair, your dreamy eyes, your pouty lips and all the things that make us different.
Besides, you miss out on a great opportunity to meet a fabulous individual simply because you judge a person by their weight.

Answer this for me folks: How can you get to know me when I don’t fit your idea of the perfect image?

I must admit that the media places pressure on all types of people: the anorexic, the bulimic, the obese, the “ugly;” and I believe that this pressure has led many impressionable people to change themselves. Some starve themselves thin (yes, some go on reasonable diets too), some go through impossible cosmetic surgery to fit the “ideal, acceptable image,” and some just spiral into depression, aggression and reject everything that life has to offer.



My advice: BE YOURSELF!! Curvy. Thin. Or in between. There will never be another person like you. Love yourself… curves and all. You and only you can determine the ideal weigh… Your way!!

 

Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada


 Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillian_Russell
http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/07/16/dont-let-them-call-you-skinny-vintage-ads-push-women-to-gain-weight/#6345-4
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3SBENBdIF-8wtmYBServIqDaBibcQqqGi246hAIwRoD7UMzc1
 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151089532162428&set=a.85411092427.84765.80592962427&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151398548822428&set=a.85411092427.84765.80592962427&type=1&theater

No comments:

Post a Comment