Thursday 17 January 2013

My Personal College/University Survival Guide: Then vs. Now (Jamaica vs. Canada)



So a new semester has begun. Are you excited yet? Neither am I… but I have a few interesting tips that get me going, and I will compare my Canadian tips with my Jamaican tips (you may choose which tips best work for you given your particular situation). These are real – life situations that have worked.

Jamaican Guide
  1. If I didn’t understand something in class, I waited until the session was over to bug the professor until he/she either gave in or attempted to boot me out of the class (I was like air, I wasn't that easy to get rid of!!).
  2. If someone was talking so loud that I couldn’t hear the professor (especially if I'm even remotely interested), I started talking too. That way, they will get annoyed and get the point to be quiet.
  3. Note-taking: This was by far the hardest thing to do, since most professors rambled on and on (even diverting from the information necessary for the course in order to discuss some ancient story about their past lives). I survived this by picking two (maybe three) sentences out of their encyclopaedia worth of discussion and use that to summarize what they are actually trying to say.
  4. Assignments: There is always a friend who we can rely on to have most – if not all – the answers (this was reciprocity, as I was the resource for some people at times). So… the day before the assignments are due, get into a group of about 10, mix and match ideas and BOOM! Assignment Complete.
  5. Exams: I would read my notes (probably 3 sentences for the semester; or just stare at them) as many times as I possibly could, then get into a group of 5 or more on the day before the exam. We would then start a random conversation about any of the topics and like magic, everything taught over the course of the semester will come flowing out. End of the semester = B- to B+ if you’re lucky.

Canadian Guide
I had to change my entire outlook and reinvent myself in order to maximize my opportunity (and not waste a lot of money) in order to well in Canada.
    STUDYING FOR TESTS: OR JUST STARING BLANKLY atTnotes,funny pictures,auto,fry is not sure,study
  1. If I don’t understand something, I'll ask right away. Chances are, after class, I have to rush either to work or another class, and it will remain a mystery until I see the same question I had in mind appear on the exam (this happened during my first semester).
  2. If someone is talking and I can’t hear the professor, I've learned to tune them out.
  3. Note-taking: My advice? Get a tape recorder (if t is allowed). 95% of what the professors say is actually relevant to the course, and like all professors everywhere, they do not pause to accommodate note-takers.
  4. Assignments: I've learned to get to it right away. Google and Wikipedia will not necessarily be helpful as actual books will be needed to aid in answering questions. As for a “friend” who has all the answers… they might not be so keen to “mix and match” and possibly looking for answers themselves.
  5. Exam: I would refer to #3 and read materials from recommended texts and I find that I end up doing a terrific job! Study group of 5 or more also works, oftentimes, I'm expected to contribute as well. End of semester = A- or higher. 
We seem to be more laid back in Jamaica, even though the pressure is immensely great! Pressure from the professors; pressure from the society; pressure from your family. Oftentimes, when one gets the opportunity to attend college/university in Jamaica, he/she might be the first in the family to do so and it is an exciting opportunity. However, from primary school, a familiar threat follows us all the way to university: “Don’t carry any zero or failing grade home, or else…”  There is so much emphasis placed on excellence rather than just giving our best that it often ruins the entire college experience for some young people. Overtime, however, we get over the “excellence” factor and just aim for a pass!
For my friends in university, have a great semester and all the very best!


__________________________________________
Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment