Wednesday 30 January 2013

Happy New Hair?



Picture the wind blowing through your hair… lifting your strands to the heights of greatness! Picture running your fingers through the curls, tresses, and strands of your lovely shimmering hair… Sadly, I am unable to this.
I came to Canada with lovely strong hair that could withstand the trauma of a curling iron, the grandeur of a weave, and the lack of care I often gave. I was about to find out that it is an entirely different ball game when I got here.
I always heard that I can’t use too much of this, or too much of that in my hair, or else my hair would “freeze” and break… PFFFT!! Poppycock!! Hogwash!! Nonsense!! I just can’t believe such malarkey!! So, like the experimental genius I am, I went and “moisturized” my thirsty strands and went out into the -21 degree wind chill! Nothing! My hair was legit, and it withstood, like I expected it to! Then it happened… I washed my hair and was called to attend an event before it was dry. So I cropped it quickly and headed out the door…
Friends, I returned home and attempted to right the wrong I did when I “cropped” my hair, and for every stroke the comb made through my hair, my hair fell out in clumps. So much so that I had to literally shave my head! Well, lesson learned!
I had to choose between facing my friends and skipping a semester of school for the sake of vanity. So, while I’m being laughed at, ridiculed, or asked “OMG, WHY DID YOU CUT YOUR LONG HAIR?” I am sucking it up, and completing the semester. In the words of Judge Judy Sheindlin: “Beauty fades; Dumb is forever.” I’d rather be bald and brilliant, than be a beautiful airhead!  I'm wearing bald this year, and I wear it with pride! 


Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies Major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

*The pictures were sourced on the internet and only serve as representations of JGIC. 

2 comments:

  1. Girl! I have a happy new hair experience as well-a full head of straight weave for the first time in my life!!! Pics to follow! HAPPY NEW HAIR!!!! P.S. 'Dumb' is holding on to uncomplimentary stuff that fades out your beauty. Patiently awaiting pics!

    ReplyDelete