Friday 12 April 2013

The Swag Factor



Mi dear friends:

I have abandoned you all for so long, it’s like I don’t even know you people anymore! Anyway, Exams are almost done for me and we have lots of catching up to do!!
 So while I was gone, it appears that a new trend has surfaced… And as it is with pop culture, we will eventually move on to the next best thing in due time. No, it’s not getting an education in a foreign country in order to be qualified for the world of work… and no, I’m not yet a celebrity. It’s something far more dangerous… even taking over vocabularies in several languages.
Apparently, the latest fashion trend is known as “SWAG” or “Something Weird And Gormless” – Yes, Gormless­. I am enthralled by the number of young people who claim that they have swag. To make matters worse, they have come up with several parts of speech for the term in question:
  1. Swaggerific (adj.) – a word used to describe your superior sense of fashion and your massive confidence. E.g. I’m so swaggerific! Check out my pink pants with my bright orange shirt!!
  2. Swagging (v.) – the act of proving one’s false confidence in one's sense of fashion. E.g. I am swagging! Nobody looks as good as I do in my pink pants and bright orange shirt!!
  3. Swagger (n.) – the way one dresses, walks and acts to indicate high confidence in an unmistakably stupid trend. E.g. “Swagger so bright, I don’t even need a light.” (Source: Lil’ Wayne).
I found it quite hilarious to see some persons who are convinced that their SWAG is superior to someone else’s. As far as I’m concerned, SWAG doesn’t pay my bills; SWAG doesn’t get me a job (not even an interview, for that matter); SWAG doesn’t contribute to my existence, so why flaunt a fad that has no economic or physical value to my well-being?
I emphasize the value of education and declare that, as a woman, a Caribbean woman, I have to place a higher value on myself. I am worth more than an outfit, fancy weaves and nails, and an over-sized sweater. I am a lady. Enough said.
I will continue to watch the comedy of persons attempting to out-SWAG the next person and if there is a prize, well congrats… but until then, put the SWAG off for a later date and spend valuable time upgrading your mind. ~JGIC

“The mind is a terrible thing to waste.” ~UNCF, 1972.
Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies Major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

*Disclaimer: Photos taken from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment