Thursday 12 December 2013

A Jamaican is a Jamaican is a Jamaican

No matter where we go or how long we've lived there, there's one thing that is unique about us: our Jamaicanness (not sure if this is a word, but people make stuff up everyday!). I was in the airport in New Jersey recently and saw a wave of people occupying the chairs. As I bustled about looking for a seat to rest my weary body that has been up for over 16 hours (from traveling), I heard this:
 "Yea man! Me tell him say me ago carry di ting fe him man! Why him a worry himself, cho? No man! No. Mi hinna New Jersey haypoat. Ya man! Yes man! Eeh-hee! Yes man..."
 I walked by the man and had to laugh a little. Can't miss a Jamaican. A few minutes later, as I waited for the last connection, I saw two young women approach with a stroller. One had a full head of red (yes, red) braids and a single blonde braid in the midst, the other had a full head of blonde braids with a single red braid in the midst. Both wore loud red pants with bright yellow blouses and the baby was brightly dressed like the pair that was accompanying him. I held my head down and continued to read my book when one of them opened her mouth:

"Me can't believe a su much dem a chaawge fe one likkle cup a caw-fee! How dem so teef?" 

I rolled my eyes in disbelief as they continued to banter over the high prices in the airport. I walked off to take a picture of the plane that will be taking me home (this has become a habit; maybe I'll use the collection to write a review someday) and made my way back to my seat. As my thoughts started to wander to the delicious jerk chicken and the hot beef patties that will soon be gracing my taste buds, the flight announcement was made. 
They loaded the plane by zones and unfortunately for me, I was in zone 5 (the last zone). The Zones were labeled 1-5 so persons joined the lines according to what zone they were in. I was abhorred at how many JAMAICANS were asked to go back to the appropriate lines as they were not yet at that zone (some 5-zoners were in the 1-zone line). I was so embarrassed, as all 8 of the passengers they sent back were JAMAICANS (who decided to express their discontent at being sent back).
Now, as a proud Jamaican, I only wish my people would try to be obvious in a more positive light. We are considered to be one of the friendliest and coolest nationalities in the world, but we have a few oversights that must be taken into consideration. The need to be seen, to be hype, to be first is something that ought to be earned. It's not something that we can "take." When I speak, when I work, when I dress to go out, I represent my country so well that people are always... always willing to give Jamaica a try. They want to visit, they want to meet more Jamaicans, they want to know if all Jamaicans are just like me. Now, how will I be able to answer this question when so many of my people overdo their Jamaicanness? We have a rich cultural heritage that is unmatched throughout the world. We have our cool reggae music that draws people from all walks of life: black, white, rich and poor. We have the greatest athletes in the history of athletics and we have a welcoming, warm spirit. Let's focus on all of these and limit the ignorance we display in other places. Chances are, that single act of ignorance can change the way the world thinks of us! Come on people, let us aim for better, let us do better, let us be better!

Nuff love same way. I am your JGIC!

Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment