Sunday 25 November 2012

The Torch



 No, it’s not the Olympic torch, but a different kind of torch we speak of. A torch I almost attempted in order to rid myself of an offensive creature.
Back home in Jamaica, we are used to seeing common creatures: small lizards, a flying insect or two, a spider… WHOA! Backtrack! SPIDERS! I hate spiders! A spider will be crawling behind me and the hair on the back of my neck would rise! That’s how much I hate spiders.
Well, I was minding my own business one morning when it all went down. I sat and was having breakfast in the usual fashion when it occurred to me that something wasn’t right. I checked my book bag to ensure that all my materials were there, and all was well there. I retrieved my water bottle from the fridge, checked my lunch bag (of course, I would never leave without that!), and took up my student ID.
[Picture this in slow motion with me now!]
I walked expeditiously to the door and swung it open, just as I put my right foot forward to step over the threshold, a massive spider swooped down and started dangling it’s disgusting, hairy legs about 3 centimetres from my nose. The shock I felt held me down in the doorway and the spider and I made eye contact.
“It has come to this!” I said to myself. Now, the creature was smack in the middle of the doorway, so there was no way to go around. I moved my eyes down to peek at my watch (for I fear if I moved, the horrid creature would squirt some silk at me and capture me!), and I had at least 25 minutes to get to class. I composed myself and thought of my options:
  1. Stoop as low as I can, go under the creature, swing the door close and run away like a pansy!
  2. Get an empty aerosol can and a lighter and torch the creature!
  3. Miss classes in the hopes that the offensive creature would go away by Christmas!
 As I moved to attempt B, the creature started to wiggle its way up the silky thread. I watched it closely and attempted to move forward. The thing let itself go again and came swooping down! “That’s it!” I screamed. “Say hello to my little friend!” I got out… you guessed it… A book from my book bag and opened the pages under the bug and snapped it shut, ridding myself of the offensive beast!
The torch was my first choice, but knowing me, I might cause a mushroom cloud to develop just so I could eliminate a spider that was about 0.5 of a centimetre (yes, it's still massive in my book!).
If I was back home in Jamaica, all activities for the day would have been cancelled as I would have just given up and let the creature be! I was forced to face my fears, and get rid of the obstacle that was blocking my path.  
I’m still afraid of spiders (maybe not to the extent I was before snapping a book over it), but I’m sure none of them will ever be able to block my path ever again! That day, I was made to understand what it means to let nothing stand in my way! I was liberated! I got to school a few minutes late because I missed the first bus, but at least I didn't torch the house! - JGIC

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face..." - Eleanor Roosevelt

 

Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you on this! Fear is so debilitating- paralyzing is what it is. It cripples you and prevents you from living to your full potential. I loved your approach-buss 'im damn ass. Das rite! You go Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really DID feel liberated! thx Jodi! LOL!

    ReplyDelete