Wednesday 31 October 2012

Life Goes On



It is said that we have a holiday for everything in Jamaica. “The Reggae Boyz won their FIFA World Cup qualifying match? Let’s declare a national holiday! No school tomorrow!” “The public bus operators are going on strike? National holiday everyone! No school/work!” or “It’s gonna rain tomorrow? Let’s declare a national holiday!” Ok, maybe I exaggerated on the last instance, but you get where I’m going, right? Well, we see where the slightest incident is cause for staying home and missing school/work. Not quite so here.
Recently, the public bus operators in my region went on strike. Luckily for me, I lived on campus, but as for the other students, it was a disaster. This was not the type of strike that I was used to. Back home, when you hear of a group going on strike, it’s just for a few hours, maybe two to three days, tops, and it’s back to work/school again.
After two weeks of the bus strike in the dead winter, I realized that this was gonna take a while. School was still in full swing, and people had to find a way to get to work or they would lose their jobs. Some students ended up dropping out for the semester as they lived too far away, and a few people lost their jobs. A much needed public service was unavailable to citizens, and they still had to find a way to get around it or face the consequences; consequences as detrimental as losing their jobs.
In all of this, it was business as usual: no declared holidays, no black-out days, and life just kept going on. Nothing stopped. Personally, I had to turn this unfortunate incident into a positive. A five-minute bus ride turned into a 30-minute walk so I could get to where I needed to go. I also learned that circumstances do not define who you are, it is what you do to overcome these circumstances that shows your true character. 
I was hoping that some classes would be put off or something (especially Economics, ugh!), unfortunately, that wasn't to be. 
The bus strike went on for six weeks, and life went on through it all. The good thing is, I managed to remain healthy through walking everywhere, and I became more acquainted with where I live and learned about a few short cuts. However, when the buses did return, I was never happier to see a bus driver.

"No matter the circumstances, keep pushing forward. Life stops only when you do." -JGIC




Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Check out her online store at http://jwbookstore.creativesolutionsmall.com to purchase books and electronics.
Email: jokay2112@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment