Wednesday 16 April 2014

Jamaicans Don't Do Recipes; We Just Don't!

I don't mean to brag... but, I can COOK!! Unfortunately, if I make something for you and you ask me for a "recipe," it's over!! 
Jamaicans are known for using their "judgement" to prepare meals, and the spontaneity may be the reason why our dishes become World Class meals! I notice, too, that when I follow a recipe to the tee, the food doesn't appeal to me as much in most cases. 
So, last Sunday, my roommate asked me for a "recipe" for curried chicken... life zoomed in on me at that point. I turned slowly to look at my roommate and whispered, softly but effectively: "I'm Jamaican, I don't know any." I eventually told her to grab a pot and let's see what we could discover.
In my special Jamaican way, this is what ensued:
1) Cut up the chicken small-small (Jamaicans tend to repeat specific words for emphasis e.g. fool-fool, jump-up, back-back, etc).
2) Cut up some onion and garlic 
"How much?" she asked. I shrugged and told her about half an onion and 4 cloves of garlic.
3) Sprinkle likkle (little, a small amount of) salt on it, just make sure you can taste it when you're done seasoning the meat.
4) Cut up piece-a carrot and Irish potato and put it in the mixture.
"Jeez, Jodi! How much?" My roommate seemed annoyed. I turned to her with a smile and said, "You cooking for four? Use your judgement. How much carrot and potato can four people eat in di curry chicken?" We continued.
5) Add some curry... She looked at me, so I told her to start sprinkling and I would tell her when to stop. After about 15 seconds of sprinkling, I determined that it was enough. 
6) I encouraged her to throw in a few herbs (thyme leaves, oregano) and black pepper to give it a little flavor and, of course, the cayenne pepper.
7) We added some coconut paste to the mixture and voila! Curry Chicken like a boss!! 
The chicken actually came out very good and we had a few guests over to confirm this. We tend to be very good cooks, but I promise you, we learn to cook by watching our parents in the kitchen... "a likkle bit a dis and a likkle bit a dat!"
You know what I have discovered too, my friends? If you visit 10 homes in Jamaica that prepared curried chicken, I guarantee you will find 10 different authentic and delicious flavours of curry. I have never followed a recipe book that can give me the flavour my palette is used to, so... I will stick to my good ol' judgement and whip up whatever combination my "gut" tells me to go with; I usually get it just right!! If there are Jamaican recipes you guys are interested in, there are several of them available on the web, but the best way to get the most out of these dishes is to have a Jamaican prepare them for you! ~JGIC


 

 Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies Major in Nova Scotia, Canada.

  
Looking for awesome online coupons to aid in your shopping experience? Visit http://www.universitysaversclub.ca/ for the latest coupons for hair, clothing & accessories!!

**Pictures acquired from Google. I do not own these photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment