Thursday 22 August 2013

What Jamaicans think about Foreign/Foreigners


So I went home recently and was classified as a “foreigner.”
Jamaican Definition: Farina: Smaddy who go a foreign fe more than 6 days.
Translation: Foreigner: One who leaves Jamaica (to go anywhere) in an aircraft for more than 6 days.
As a foreigner, this means I am expected to take home lots of goodies for my people back home, have lots of money to spend and visit everybody I’ve known since childhood. So as usual, my dilemma was pre-destined before even setting foot outside of Canada. For one, I’m a student and flat broke and secondly, ain’t nobody got time for driving down all of Jamaica looking for everybody. So I went home and made a few observations. This is not one of my blogs to laugh about, just something to think about.
This is: What Jamaicans think about foreign/foreigners: (Video Soon)
  1. Beg yuh a money nuh?/There is money everywhere: No, unlike Jamaica, if you miss a day of work, you miss a day’s pay which can affect your entire budget.
  2. Carry one Galaxy S100 fe me nuh!/You can always take home a cell phone: Contrary to popular belief, cell phones here aren’t cheap. You need a plan in order to get them cheap/free. Plans are costly. So no, I can’t bring a cell phone.
  3. Yow, Missa Chin!!/ Every Asian is known as Mr./Ms. Chin: This is one of the most hilarious things ever!Once you look Asian, you're now known as Mr./Ms. Chin.
  4. Carry suppen fe me nuh!/ You must be able to take something home: This ties in with #1. No. Without money, we can’t buy anything.
  5. Yuh nah sen a barrel?/ It’s Christmas; barrel time is imminent: With my student’s salary, it would take me approximately three years to pack and send the smallest barrel on the market. No.
  6. Gimme dat nuh!/ Give me whatever you are wearing, you can afford another. So, you want me to walk around bare-butt, bare-back and barefoot because I can afford to get clothes/shoes cheap overseas? So what do I wear for the remainder of the time I’m home? Important questions.
  7. Carry two bakkle a cologne fe me/Bring some perfume please. Well, the airlines have started to charge for bags, so the colognes might be cheap, but to check that bag might cost more than the cologne itself. Highly unlikely.
  8. Carry two name-brand shirt fe me/Bring some brand name clothing home, will you? What is considered brand name is often everyday wear for people overseas. So, that is often just plain irrelevant.
So my foreigner status obviously needs to be revoked. I’m still a bruck-pocket hustler trying to survive in a country unknown to me. I go to school, I do darn well at it and I miss home. I miss the good cooking, the fish and festival/bammy. And yes, our food is superior! Bursting with flavour and goodness. I don't get that luxury here; and I’d like to enjoy my visit without feeling guilty that I didn’t remember to take something for someone. It’s not as easy as you perceive it to be. The dollar is stronger, yes, but harder to work for and even harder to come by without a job.

Much love same way. ~JGIC

 Comment with anything you'd like to add to this list. Video in the works!!

 
Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies Major in Nova Scotia, Canada.
***Images acquired from Google


No comments:

Post a Comment