Wednesday 5 September 2012

One Stop, Driver!


 I arrived in Canada with the expectation of seeing snow and ice painting the landscape. Much to my disappointment, the landscape was decorated with green and a splattering of colour reflecting the different types of vegetation that exist here. The air was cold, and I felt the exhilaration that a new experience brings (or perhaps it was just shivers from the cold air).

The first thing I noticed was my extreme hunger. Having traveled for hours and waiting for a time that felt like eternity in the airport for my flight, I was ravenous and even my purse was beginning to look delectable. So what could I do? It was 11 pm on my very first day in a new country, so I was left to do what anyone else would… I got under my covers and slept.

That night I had dreams of jerk chicken and a hot cup of Manish Water. Mouthwatering, delectable chunks of oxtail floated dreamily in my subconscious. Rice and peas cooked with delicious coconut cream and ackee and saltfish whispered my name so sweetly. A large escoveitched snapper smiled broadly at me, inviting me to take a taste. Just as I got ready to move towards the dishes before me, I was made aware of a recurring "buzz" (my alarm)and it was then that I woke up to the realization that it was only a dream and all those wonderful items were simply not here. My next goal, then, was to find the store.

I dressed warm and headed to the bus stop to get to the closest store. Sure enough the bus was on time and I followed the advice of the registration clerk who told me the store is 15 minutes away by bus. After riding the bus for over 20 minutes, I began to feel that maybe I was lost (ok, I knew I was lost). I felt the urge to bellow “One Stop, Driver!” but remembered that bus stop buttons were conveniently located all over the vehicle. So to avoid looking like an idiot, I approached the driver and politely asked him to indicate to me whenever we got the store. Much to my amazement, the driver created a facial expression that was akin to comic book drawings and said: “Um, you’re on the wrong bus darlin’; you should have gone in the other direction!” I almost lost it! Not only was I now more than half an hour away in the opposite direction, it was also cold, and my stomach was now singing to the tune of an orchestra!
 
I hung my head in embarrassment then crossed the street to catch the bus in the other direction and finally made my way to the store. As hard as that experience was, I felt a sense of achievement after all was said and done. Not only did I learn about that route, I managed to locate the store; I got a student discount; and that afternoon, it snowed.

The following day would be my first day of classes for the winter, and even though my hands were freezing and I slipped on the pathways several times (didn’t fall though), I was ready for the new challenge.



Jodi-Ann is an Environmental Studies major in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Check out her online store at http://jwbookstore.creativesolutionsmall.com to purchase books and electronics.
Email: jokay2112@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment